Assistant Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences
1010 W. Ave. B
Kingsville, Texas 78363
Education and Training
Harvard Medical School
Instructor of Neurology, 2007-2011
Brigham and Women’s Hospital & Harvard Medical School, Center for Neurologic Disease
Senior Chemist, 2006-2011
Harvard Medical School
Research Fellow, 2006-2007
National Institute of Health and Northeastern University
Postdoctoral Fellow, 2005-2006
University of Connecticut
Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Sciences and Medicinal Chemistry, 2005
Peking Union Medical College, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing, China
M.S. in Medicinal Chemistry, 1991
Nankai University, Tianjin, China
B.S., Organic Chemistry, 1987
- Entry level and advanced medicinal and organic chemistry
- Pharmacology of drugs for oncology, diabetes and neurodegenerative diseases
- Small-molecule drug design
- Pharmaceutical sciences related to nanomedicine
- Organic/medicinal chemistry
- Biomedical sciences
- Protein/polymer-based nanomedicine
- Microtubule, protein kinases, cannabinoid receptors, acetylcholinesterase, and certain amyloidal proteins
- Natural products and their derivatives for synthesizing and developing potential therapeutic agents
- Organic synthesis
- Drug-screening through bioassays
- Augelli-Szafran CE, Wei HX, Lu D, Zhang J, Gu Y, Yang T, Wolfe MS. “Discovery of Notch-Sparing γ-Secretase Inhibitors.” Curr. Alzheimer Res., 2010, 7:207-9.
- Dai Lu, Jian-Xin Guo, Richard I. Duclos, Jr., Anna Bowmann, Alexandros Makriyannis, “Bornyl and Isobornyl-∆8-tetrahydrocannabinol: A novel class of cannabinergic ligands.” J. Med. Chem. 2008, 51(20): 6393-99.
- Richard I. Duclos, Jr., Dai Lu, Jianxin Guo, & Alexandros Makriyannis, “Synthesis and characterization of 2-substituted bornane pharmacophores for novel cannabinergic ligands.” Tetrahedron Lett. 2008, 49: 5587-89.
- Atmaram Khanolkar, Dai Lu, Mohab Ibrahim, Richard I. Duclos, Jr., Ganesh A. Thakur, Vijayabaskar Veerappan, Xiaoyu Tian, Philip Malan, Jr., Frank Porreca, Clifford George, Damon A. Parrish, & Alexandros Makriyannis, “Cannabilactones: A novel class of CB2 selective agonists with peripheral analgesic activity.” J. Med. Chem. 2007, 50(26): 6493-500.
- Dai Lu, Venkata Kiran Vemuri, Richard Duclos Jr. & Alexandros Makriyannis, “Cannabinergic system as a target for anti-inflammatory therapies.” Curr. Top. Med. Chem. 2006; 6(13): 1401-26.
- Dai Lu, Zhaoxing Meng, Ganesh A. Thakur, Pushang Fan, John Steed, Cindy L. Tartal, Dow P. Hurst, Patricia H. Reggio, Jeffrey R. Deschamps, Damon A. Parrish, Clifford George, Torbjörn U.C. Järbe, Richard J. Lamb, & Alexandros Makriyannis, “Adamantyl Cannabinoids: A Novel Class of Cannabinergic Ligands.” J. Med. Chem. 2005, 48(14): 4576-85.
- Qian Liu, Donghui Wang, Chun Li, Dai Lu, Weijun Wang, & Jiyu Guo, “Synthesis and CNS activities of alpha-agarofuran derivatives.” Chin. J. Med. Chem, 2003, 13(3): 125-30.
- Alexandros Makriyannis, Dai Lu, Xin-Zhong Lai “Keto Cannabinoids with Therapeutic Indications.” U.S. Patent: 7,183,313, 2007.
- Alexandros Makriyannis, Dai Lu, Atmaram Khanolkar, “Novel Analgesic and Immunomodulatory Cannabinoids.” US Patent: 6,939,977, 2005.
- Alexandros Makriyannis, Atmaram Khanolkar, Dai Lu, “Novel Cannabinoids Selective for the CB2 Receptor.” U.S. Patent: 6,166,066. 2000.
National Service & Recognition
- National Research Service Award for Postdoctoral Trainee, NIH, 2005
- Boehringer Ingelheim Young Research Fellow Award, Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals Inc, 1999, 2000