Student Organization Policy & Procedures
Listed below are policies and procedures for the following: 1) Organizations; 2) Announcements and Fliers; 3) General Information regarding: Approved Scheduled Event Clean-up, Ice Chest, Ice Maker Access, Faculty & Staff Lounge Use, Room and Table Reservations; 4) Organization Room – Kleberg Hall; 5) Merchandise Approval, 6) Student Activity Requests Forms, 7) Student Organization Fund Raising Guidelines, 8) Student Organization Travel Requests; 9) TAMUK Reimbursements.
All officers and members of your organization should carefully review the information below.
For each student organization event or activity, a member of the organization must complete and submit a Student Activity Request Form. This form must be submitted to the correct office at least seven days before the event or activity. Specifically, the Student Activity Request Form must be submitted to the Office of Experiential Education for all events involving patient care and to the Office of Student Affairs for all non-patient care events or activities. The importance of this form is clearly detailed in the Student Activity Request section below.
For activities where health care services outside of the normal curriculum (i.e., non-IPPE service learning events) are provided, a member of the organization must complete and submit an Extramural Health Care Services Health Fair Approval Form at least 21 days prior to the event. Health Care Services (HCS) include all activities where direct medical care is rendered to a third party, including but not limited to: participation in health fairs; providing health screening and immunizations; and other organized health related activities in which students engage in “hands-on” encounters with third parties.
- After elections in the spring, submit a list of new organization officers to the Office of Student Affairs.
- Complete a new Texas A&M University-Kingsville signature card and submit it to Ms. Joanne Alvarado in TAMUK College Hall - Room 120. Please provide a copy of the signed card to the Office of Student Affairs. This card ensures disbursement of approved reimbursements.
- Student organizations must submit their Constitution and By-Laws to the Office of Student Affairs whenever there are updates or changes.
- Contact Ms. Antonia Alvarez, Associate Dean of Students at TAMUK, 361-593-4095, SUB Room 305, at the beginning of the fall semester to provide and present information on the TAMUK Protocol (rules, procedures, expectation for behavior) for Texas A&M Rangel College of Pharmacy Organizations. This presentation is required for all organization leaders/members.
- Each organization is provided with a mailbox in the Texas A&M Rangel College of Pharmacy building. Please contact the Administrative Assistant in the Office of Academic Affairs in Room 106, Texas A&M Rangel College of Pharmacy, or call 361-221-0621, for additional information.
2) Announcements and Fliers
Items fastened using tape, thumb tacks, glue, etc., damage doors and walls and detract from the appearance of the building. Consequently, fliers announcing programs, seminars and other events should not be affixed to walls and doors in the Texas A&M Rangel College of Pharmacy or in Kleberg Hall buildings.
For assistance with announcements and fliers, please contact the administrative assistant in the Office of Academic Affairs, Room 106, Texas A&M Rangel College of Pharmacy, or call 361-221-0621, who will provide information about bulletin boards and display cases in the college.
3) General Information
- Cleaning Up After Approved Scheduled Events - Organization members are responsible for cleaning up after an approved scheduled event whether the event is held in or out of the Texas A&M Rangel College of Pharmacy building.
- Ice Chest - Each organization is required to purchase an ice chest for their use.
- Ice Maker Access – Student organizations do not have access to an ice maker. Please plan accordingly.
- Faculty & Staff Lounge - The College’s Faculty & Staff Lounge is not available for student or organization activities (not even with a request).
- Room and Table Reservations are submitted online to the administrative assistant in the Office of Academic Affairs. Once submitted, you will receive a confirmation for the room reservation. If tables were reserved, the lead office associate in the Dean’s Office will send a confirmation for table reservations.
4) Organization Room – Kleberg Hall Room 122
Recognized Texas A&M Rangel College of Pharmacy student organizations may use Room 122 in Kleberg Hall to store organization items and materials. For security purposes, organizations must provide the Office of Student Affairs with a list of organization members authorized to have access to this room. This list typically includes the organization officers and any other members designated by the organization. Organizations are asked to keep this room clean, neat and organized at all times and organizations are encouraged to use the designated cabinets provided.
5) Merchandise Approval
The Texas A&M Rangel College of Pharmacy communications director reviews and approves all designs (with or without Texas A&M Rangel College of Pharmacy logo) placed on T-shirts or other items sold by an established organization. The assistant dean for Student Affairs should be copied when submitting designs for approval to the communications director. Although reviewed by the assistant dean, final approval comes from the communications director.
6) Student Activity Requests
All established Texas A&M Rangel College of Pharmacy organizations are required to complete a Student Activity Request form whether the activity or event is on- or off-campus. This policy ensures that all organizational activities and events are well-coordinated and, most importantly, that organizations are following the policies and procedures established for patient care and non-patient care activities. Please note that off-campus activities and events require the presence of the organization’s faculty adviser.
Note: As required by the Health Science Center, all Extramural Health Care Services must be conducted under the guidance and direct supervision of a licensed health care professional holding a faculty appointment within the TAMHSC. Consequently, the Texas A&M Rangel College of Pharmacy requires that qualified faculty member (i.e., a pharmacist or another qualified health care provider) supervise all IPPE patient care events or the activity must be postponed or canceled. ALL education events are considered patient care events and must be supervised by a qualified faculty member.
The Student Activity Request form must be submitted to the appropriate office in advance (seven days for IPPE Service Learning Events, patient care and non-patient care activities) of the proposed activity. Please note that the Extramural Health Care Services Health Fair Approval Form must be submitted 21 days before the date of all patient care events. For more information about the Extramural Health Care Services Health Fair Approval Form please contact the Office of Experiential Education at 361-221-0661.
The Student Activity Request form can be downloaded from the College website. Please complete and print the form to obtain required signatures. After the form has been signed, please submit it to the correct office as described above. The activity or event will be added to the Student Affairs event calendar after the Student Activity Request form is approved.
7) Student Organization Fund Raising Guidelines
All organization officers are responsible for carefully reviewing and becoming familiar with the Student Organization Fund Raising Guidelines. These guidelines can be found in the Student Handbook and on the website.
8) Student Organization Travel Request
All students planning to travel to a student organization event must complete a Student Organizational Travel Request Form. The form is used to verify that students planning to travel are in good academic standing and hold an overall course average grade of 70 percent or greater in all courses. All course coordinators must initial the form and the form must be submitted 21 to 10 days before the travel date. If this form is not submitted by the required deadline, students will not be granted an excused absence or be eligible to receive reimbursement for travel expenses.
9) Texas A&M University-Kingsville Funds
Complete a TAMUK Student Organization Fund - Reimbursement Form.
- The organizational president must designate a member of the organization to coordinate, collect, and submit all reimbursement forms. This individual will work with a representative in the Office of Student Affairs to complete and process reimbursements for organizational travel.
- Submit all required original expense receipts and reimbursement form(s) for each student(s) to the Administrative Assistant in the Office of Student Affairs within 14 business days after the actual event. Extensions beyond 14 days shall be at the discretion of the Texas A&M Rangel College of Pharmacy Assistant Dean for Student Affairs on a case-by-case basis.
- Completed and approved forms will be submitted by the Texas A&M Rangel College of Pharmacy Student Affairs Office to TAMUK for disbursement of funds.
- The responsible people on the signature card are responsible to inquire when approved funds have been transferred to the respective organization account for pick-up. For disbursement of funds, responsible persons listed on the signature card must require that persons receiving a cash reimbursement sign a statement indicating the amount received and this amount must be entered into the organization records. If TAMUK Student Activity Funds are initially deposited into an organization account and a check is written from that account directly to the student owed, then the cleared bank check will serve as a receipt.
**Any policy and procedure may be subject to change at the discretion of the assistant dean for Student Affairs.